A Rube Goldberg is a complex contraption that performs a simple task. My groups Rube made tea. This project is named Rube Goldberg because the person who originally invented this idea was named Rube Goldberg.
The Specific Requirements for this Project are: 1. Must fit on a space roughly 2 ft. x 2 ft x 3 ft (You can go outside of that for the start or finish step) 2. The contraption must be started with only one action, and must continue on its own for at least 20 seconds, and no more than two minutes. It must be able to be reset in a reasonable amount of time.
3. Must have at least 12 steps. A working step is defined as a triggering that causes an action. It is completed when one object transfers energy to another object. 4. Must have at least 2 different simple machines represented. 5. An object must be raised/projectiled at least 12 inches. 6. You may use up to 1 electrical devices, but only if they are activated by action of the contraption. These devices must be battery powered.
My Rube Goldberg was designed to make tea. When we were first making the plans for our Rube so that it would be really aesthetically pleasing and one side would be fall and the other side the other would be winter.
What steps were most challenging to make work? (How did you troubleshoot or redesign)
One of the steps that was the most challenging was our marble was going down this ramp too fast that we made out of wire, so we added hot glue to it so it acted as some sort of speed bump
What was the hardest part of doing this project, how did you persevere?
The hardest part of this project was two things. One is when something on our Rube would just stop working and we had to fix it, which would take up a lot of time. The other one was the worksheets. I think this project would have been a lot more fun/less stressful if we didn’t have to fill out the worksheets and write papers about how velocity and other things like that work.
Personally what was your biggest contribution to the project?
My biggest contribution to this project was help problem solve. Like for example when the ball going down the wire ramp and goes down the CD’s it would keep falling off so we added walls so that it wouldn’t fall.
Videos of Rube:
Life in the Cold
This project "Life in the cold" was about learning how the structures and properties of materials affect their ability to absorb and transmit heat, as well as how do we apply these understandings to maximize our ability to survive and thrive in the cold. For this project we had to make up a testable question about surviving the cold seasons. My groups question was , "How does breath-ability and clothing material affect the surface body temperature of a test subject?". For our project we had a person in our group as a test subject to test out different jackets made of different materials and we saw how it changed his temperature. Everyone in our group thought this was an interesting question and decided that it would be a good idea to test. This showed that each different material showed different levels of breath-ability, or the different properties of the materials. The job assassinated to me during this project was the documenter. What I did for this job was take pictures of our "test subject" every time he put on a jacket and took it off again with a thermal camera. This showed the body temperature of our test subject while they had the jacket on. Then my group used it as evidence of the project.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.